Re: [exim] smarthost relay problems

Autor: Bill Hacker
A: exim
Assumpte: Re: [exim] smarthost relay problems
Rob Brenart wrote:

> Fred Viles wrote:

(good advice, snipped now)

> What do you know, my hosting provider has a 2 second preconfigured thing
> for just this problem... so now, exim is running a copy on 587 as
> well... I don't mean to be a hassle, but I'm not seeing how to redirect
> my client to use that port now though... I thought it was in Bill's
> earlier message, but I can't seem to distill it from the server settings.

Those furnished for port 587 would support your Thunderbird 1.4
(Windows/20050908) MUA attaching to your Exim box.
buried in the second post was the nux of hte 'opportunity' (there ae no
'problems...')

As Marc Sherman (emphatically) stated - with reference to documents,
even ;-)

- Exim does not (ordinarily) expect to begin an outbound transmission
over an already SSL/TLS'ed channel.
he handshkes are bass-ackwards.

So..

First, you need to determine if SBC have port 587 SSL/TLS_on_connect, or
STARTTLS.

Easy enuf to do...

If Thunderbird is working with the 'Outbound Server' set to 'TLS is
available' it should be STARTTLS.

If it had to be set to 'TLS Only' the SBC box should be SSL/TLS_on_connect

You can confirm the former with a telnet session, wherein your first
EHLO somebody@???
- gets you a rather short list of advertised services, with STARTTLS
among them.

Respond 'STARTTLS' and expect a second, longer, advert.

Try it first against port 25 of your Exim box:

==========================

*telnet oculardata.com 25*

Trying 67.43.2.202...
Connected to oculardata.com.
Escape character is '^]'.
220-host.oculardata.com ESMTP Exim 4.52 #1 Mon, 21 Nov 2005 18:24:33 -0500
220-We do not authorize the use of this system to transport unsolicited,
220 and/or bulk e-mail.

*ehlo somebody@???*

250-host.oculardata.com Hello somebody@??? [<calling IP>]
250-SIZE 52428800
250-PIPELINING
250-AUTH PLAIN LOGIN
250-STARTTLS
250 HELP

*quit*

221 host.oculardata.com closing connection

If you get the same sort of response from SBC, then all you *should*
need to do is 'point' Exim to port 587 instead of port 25 for connecting
to that box (not necessarily for working to others).

Exim will actually 'depart' your box on 'none of the above', i.e. some
port well above 1024.

HTH,

Bill