Re: [exim] smarthost relay problems

Autor: Marc Sherman
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] smarthost relay problems
Rob Brenart wrote:

> Correct me if I'm wrong, but this help sounds like help for listeners,
> and my trouble is in sending mail to a smarthost, not receiving from...
> the smarthost I'm sending to is what it is, I can't make any changes
> there... and the reason SSL & TSL came up is because in my thunderbird
> installation, SSL is what my SMTP is configured to, which makes it
> communicate over port 465.

Are you sure that tls_on_connect over port 465 is the only submission
method your ISP supports? You might want to call them and ask if they
support any other submission mode, such as authenticated TLS
(negotiated) submission over ports 25 or 587.

If they support submission on port 25, then it should have just worked
if you set up the client authentication correctly -- if you didn't, you
should post to the debian exim users list for help, as I know that
Debian has some complex configuration for client authentication. If
they support submission on port 587, then you'll need to add "port =
587" to your smarthost transport.

- Marc