Re: [exim] suggestion - exim-new-users

Αρχική Σελίδα
Συντάκτης: Jeremiah Foster
Ημερομηνία:
Προς: 'Exim-users'
Αντικείμενο: Re: [exim] suggestion - exim-new-users
On Nov 18, 2005, at 6:59 PM, Jakob Hirsch wrote:

> And for the poeple thinking the people here are rude (at the risk of
> seeming inpolite): This is ridiculous. I'd really like to see some
> examples.

I appreciate your differing point of view, I would like to point you to
the mail archives however
and ask you again if you feel that perhaps competent people have not
been treated rather rudely.

> Even if it were true, how should this be different on a
> spin-off list? Anyway, this is not exim-cuddle.

No it is certainly not exim-cuddle. But nor is it
exim-with-copious-amounts-of-misplaced-anger-aimed-at-people-who-don't-
read-the-RFCs.

> Providing a solution to
> some stranger's problem should be polite enough and compensate the left
> out "Dear.." and "Kind regards...". But maybe I'm also grumpy. Perhaps
> it's Exim that makes people grumpy. In this case, it's better for
> people
> not starting to use it. :)

I politely disagree. The point of this excellent peice of software is
for people to use it. I appreciate that it is large and complex, but I
see great good in more people being able to understand it. If exim4
were the main MTA on the internet;

        - we'd have less spam
        - mail administrators would be more productive
        - mission-critical infrastructure would be patent-free
        - standards would be better implemented to allow for exim
inter-operability
I think exim can be run by nearly anyone, but it takes patience and
help. I think of Richard Feynman, the great physicist who "took great
care when explaining topics to his students, making it a moral point
not to make a topic arcane, but accessible to others."[1] We should do
that too.

Jeremiah Foster

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Feynman#fn_Bet91