Re: [exim] suggestion - exim-new-users

Autor: John W. Baxter
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] suggestion - exim-new-users
On 11/17/05 10:24 AM, "Jason Meers" <Jason.Meers@???> wrote:

> It would seem that the majority of people are against splitting the
> list. I have no problem with that.
>
> I have no strong preferences for how we cater for new users or
> converters just a desire that we do more to help them.
>
> Anything to stop people giving up with Exim completely as I did and
> deciding to install "Exchange Virus Factory 2003" quicker than you can
> say "I agree, next, next, next, finish, reboot"
>

> If we need a backgrounder document about the responsibilities a mail
> administrator needs to understand then lets put one together.

Sounds good. It should probably also discuss the alternatives. Some people
do this because the MTA is there. They should be given a pathway to
retrieving the mail their system is trying to send them without having a
full MTA receiving from the Internet.

Some decide they want to host mail for their own domain, and the alternative
of many available fairly inexpensive hosting solutions should be pointed
out. And the difficulties of doing MTA work on a dynamic IP need also to be
pointed out.

> If we need to be clear about which beginner configs are suitable for
> isolated networks and which are suitable for connection to public
> networks then lets put it together.

Yes.

> I was interested in the numerous discussions about the level of
> competence required and the concept of "earning your stripes" before
> being let loose on a real MTA.
>
> It sounds like people have an idea in their own head about what should
> be learned before someone is allowed to "fly solo".

Before home Linux systems were a semi-mass-market item, one tended to learn
from a mentor. We used a consultant the owner had used for other things
before when we were switching from sendmail to Exim in around 1996. And
that was after the owner had been running mail since late 1993.

> I dont mind being used as a central point for the collection and
> organisation of code samples, documentation or links people may already
> have that could be used for beginners in pdfs or on the wiki.

You may regret saying that, but I for one say "thank you!".

--John