Re: [exim] suggestion - exim-new-users

Αρχική Σελίδα
Συντάκτης: Jason Meers
Ημερομηνία:
Προς: exim-users
Αντικείμενο: Re: [exim] suggestion - exim-new-users
It would seem that the majority of people are against splitting the
list. I have no problem with that.

I have no strong preferences for how we cater for new users or
converters just a desire that we do more to help them.

Anything to stop people giving up with Exim completely as I did and
deciding to install "Exchange Virus Factory 2003" quicker than you can
say "I agree, next, next, next, finish, reboot"

If we need a backgrounder document about the responsibilities a mail
administrator needs to understand then lets put one together.

If we need to be clear about which beginner configs are suitable for
isolated networks and which are suitable for connection to public
networks then lets put it together.

I was interested in the numerous discussions about the level of
competence required and the concept of "earning your stripes" before
being let loose on a real MTA.

It sounds like people have an idea in their own head about what should
be learned before someone is allowed to "fly solo".

I dont mind being used as a central point for the collection and
organisation of code samples, documentation or links people may already
have that could be used for beginners in pdfs or on the wiki.

I would really like to see an examples directory that could be
distributed along with exim (or downloaded separately if that suggestion
is not popular, maybe in time for v4.7x)

I would be happy to work with Nigel on this if nobody has any objections
to me "championing" some extra documentation for new users and
converters (without dumbing down or altering the current exim-users)

Thanks

Jason Meers