Re: [exim] suggestion - exim-new-users

Αρχική Σελίδα
Συντάκτης: Michael Sprague
Ημερομηνία:
Προς: exim-users
Αντικείμενο: Re: [exim] suggestion - exim-new-users
Philip Hazel wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Nov 2005, Jason Meers wrote:
>

>>1) A usable config, no matter how simple. The sample config is very thorough
>>but now 20 pages long.
>

> The *default* configuration (it isn't a sample, it really works :-) is
> 672 lines long, it is true (your printer has 34 lines per page?).
>
> It's the way it is because people (in the early days) wanted a working
> configuration that was highly commented so that newcomers could read it
> and perhaps understand the way it worked. Perhaps this has turned into
> overkill?

<SNIP>

For my $0.02, I think a heavily commented config file is great. If
you're in a shop where several people may have to take a crack at the
config file, it only makes sense to be 'self documenting'. In my case,
I literally cut and paste the appropriate text from the spec for every
parameter that is set. Then I add in my own comments when necessary.
Then I make the structure use the style that Tony suggests at
http://www-uxsup.csx.cam.ac.uk/~fanf2/hermes/doc/misc/EximStyle.

So if I get hit by a bus or something, someone else should be able to
pick things up pretty fast. Plus, if someone is new to Exim, the
learning curve for understanding the config file should be reduced.

In any case, I vote to keep the default config heavily commented. :)

thanks,

Michael F. Sprague     | mfs@???
http://www.saneinc.net | use STD::disclaimer;
System and Network Engineering (SaNE), Inc