Re: [exim-dev] Re: [exim] Release candidate for 4.60 is avai…

Author: Bill Hacker
To: exim-dev
Subject: Re: [exim-dev] Re: [exim] Release candidate for 4.60 is available
Philip Hazel wrote:

> On Wed, 16 Nov 2005, Bill Hacker wrote:
>

>>I was about to ask if there was a 'changelog' or new features precis
>>to reduce the hit on downloads...
>

> For real releases, I do put up independent ChangeLog files. I don't
> normally do it for snapshots and RCs because I sort of think that only a
> few keen people will want to download them. Maybe I should in future.

I believe it could reduce the server load - and the b/w needed by
'besuchers'.
- especially as a 'New in this Release..' posting on website or Wiki.

Even with broadband, many of us (ich) may wish to 'monitor' the progress
for a while, do some planning
of tests, and perhaps ask a few questions before grabbing the full tarball.

Otherwise, I think we tend to be overly reliant on
backward-compatibility, drop the new goods into place with existing
configure files, and motor on down the road without actually making use
of enhanced items - e.g. those that could simplify, clarify, or enhance
the power of acl's, speed them up, or reduce CPU cycles, to name one area.

Thus a lot of 'works fine for me on <platform>' responses, but fewer
actual stress tests of what is new.

JMHO

Bill