Re: [exim] suggestion - exim-new-users

Αρχική Σελίδα
Συντάκτης: Mike Meredith
Ημερομηνία:
Προς: exim-users
Αντικείμενο: Re: [exim] suggestion - exim-new-users
On Tue, 15 Nov 2005 22:41:06 +0000 (GMT), Alan J. Flavell wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Nov 2005, kmb wrote:
>
> > I tend to agree that we sometimes chase away new users with RTFM as
> > an answer. or by talking down to users because they don;t know as

It depends on how it is done ... nothing wrong with something like "of
course you will most likely find a better, well thought answer to this
question in the Wiki/wherever.".

> Exim also has excellent documentation (though the index often fails me
> - but grep-ing the plain text file works well). What it *doesn't*
> have, is an elementary course in SMTP protocols and in MTA operations
> in the face of the real hostile Internet. And I have to say that some

Hell, I'm not sure there's much out there that qualifies as a basic "How to
run a Mailserver Properly" document ... commercial or free. There's bits and
pieces all over the place, but nothing collected together so you can point
someone somewhere and say 'you need to know this before you put a mail
server on the Internet'.

--
Mike Meredith, Senior Informatics Officer
University of Portsmouth: Hostmaster, Postmaster and Security