Re: [exim] suggestion - exim-new-users

Página Inicial
Autor: kmb
Para: exim-users
Assunto: Re: [exim] suggestion - exim-new-users

Fred Viles Wrote:
> On 15 Nov 2005 at 19:10, Mark Smith wrote about
> "RE: [exim] suggestion - exim-new-us":

> | Now it all seems very straightforward, but I can still remember those
> early
> | days of total frustration, and I think a list for new users would be
> a Good
> | Thing (TM).
>
> What I'm not clear on is just how a "new users list" would have
> helped you. In what way are we thinking that answers on the proposed
> list would differ from answers here? All I've got so far is that the
> charter would request more toleration of RTFM questions.
>
> Granted that some pretty advanced topics get discussed here, but
> newbies don't have to read and understand all of them. They have to
> understand the answers they get to their own questions, but exim is
> what it is so ISTM the answers would be the same on either list.
>
> Is the thinking that complex topics would be verboten on the new
> users list, making its archives less intimidating? How many newbies
> actually try to find their answer in the archives before posting?
>
> Not necessarily against the idea, just trying to understand what it
> would really mean...
>
> - Fred

I tend to agree that we sometimes chase away new users with RTFM as an
answer. or by talking down to users because they don;t know as much as
we do and ask a basic question.. 5-6 years ago when I started to use
Exim 3.0, all I knew about MTA's was Sendmail was a PITA to configure
and maintain and I was looking for a "Better" system to use.

I find Lists hard to deal with, Given I receive over 100 mail messages
an hour That is why I started to Archive this and other Exim Related
Mailing lists... So I could go back and easily search them...

There is much good information on this list, finding it is the hard
part. Unless you know what you are looking for it can be tough to
build the correct search to get what you need.

I think we need to be more understanding of new users on this list.

Kevin

PS: The only advertizing on my web site is for Phil's Book ...

--
kmb

kmb's Profile: http://www.exim-users.org/forums/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1
View this thread: http://www.exim-users.org/forums/showthread.php?threadid=51043