RE: [exim] suggestion - exim-new-users

Author: Fred Viles
To: exim-users
Subject: RE: [exim] suggestion - exim-new-users
On 15 Nov 2005 at 19:10, Mark Smith wrote about
    "RE: [exim] suggestion - exim-new-us":

| Now it all seems very straightforward, but I can still remember those early
| days of total frustration, and I think a list for new users would be a Good
| Thing (TM).

What I'm not clear on is just how a "new users list" would have
helped you. In what way are we thinking that answers on the proposed
list would differ from answers here? All I've got so far is that the
charter would request more toleration of RTFM questions.

Granted that some pretty advanced topics get discussed here, but
newbies don't have to read and understand all of them. They have to
understand the answers they get to their own questions, but exim is
what it is so ISTM the answers would be the same on either list.

Is the thinking that complex topics would be verboten on the new
users list, making its archives less intimidating? How many newbies
actually try to find their answer in the archives before posting?

Not necessarily against the idea, just trying to understand what it
would really mean...

- Fred