Re: [exim] bounced messages

Autor: Marc Sherman
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] bounced messages
Shea Martin wrote:
> Emails I send to domains like gmail and hotmail, and quite a few others
> keep
> bouncing with errors like this:

[snip]
> 2005-11-15 00:36:54 Received from john@??? H=woody [192.168.0.2] =
> P=esmtpa A=fixed_plain:shea S=534 id=3D200511150036.40818.john@???
> 2005-11-15 00:36:55 john@??? R=dnslookup T=remote_smtp defer
> (-53): retry time not reached for any host

1) mydomain.ca doesn't appear to be your actual domain:

msherman@pyloric:~$ host mydomain.ca
Host mydomain.ca not found: 2(SERVFAIL)

Please do not obfuscate your logs, headers, and quoted bounces when
posting to this list.

2) Your log message seems to be in a strange format; I've never seen a
message like that that didn't have an exim message id (such as
1Ec0o4-000GrI-DR) after the timestamp. They're also missing the "<="
and "==" status flags. Did you remove the IDs and status flags from
your log before posting, or have you changed your log config in exim in
some way? Either way, please don't.

3) The log message you gave only tells us that exim eventually gave up
trying to deliver the message; it doesn't tell us why it failed to
deliver the messages in the first place. Use exigrep to find all the
log messages associated with a given message ID, and you should find out
why gmail and hotmail are tempfailing your deliveries repeatedly.

- Marc