Re: [exim] Feature request

Autor: Ian Eiloart
A: Bill Hacker, exim-users
CC:
Assumpte: Re: [exim] Feature request

On 10 Nov 2005, at 15:39, Bill Hacker wrote:

> Ian Eiloart wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> My queues are small enough that I can afford to go in
>> occasionally and look at what's stuck. Most of what's there is
>> down to typos in mail local part or domains. Users get annoyed by
>> warning messages, though I've tried to pare down the frequency. I
>> like to keep the queues short - it's an aesthetic thing, mainly -
>> and I do this by manually bouncing the messages. All to local
>> users, mind you - external users can't get badly addressed mail
>> onto our queue.
>> What I'd like to be able to do is customise the bounce message
>> when I do this. For example, I'd like to be able to say, for example
>> exim -Mg --message "Try hotmail.com not hotamil.com" $ID
>> I do occasionally send a separate email, which almost always
>> generates a positive response. However, it would be nice if the
>> graphical tool that I use (geximon, not eximon) could pop up a
>> dialog box to add something to the standard bounce message.
>
> Ian,
>
> ?? AFAIK, the 'standard bounce message' - or any other - is only
> a default,
> one that takes effect if, and only if, you haven't provided your own.

Ah, I'm talking about bounce messages, not reject messages. These are
messages that have stuck on the queue because, for example, a domain
lookup failed. I don't reject them for message submissions, because
most MUAs don't handle rejection very well.

Anyway, I can't anticipate every possible error in advance, I just
want to be able to add a one-off hint when manually bouncing an email.

Eximon and Geximon can't do that because there's no command line
mechanism to hook into.

--
Ian Eiloart
Postmaster, University of Sussex