Re: [exim] exim/spamassassin not delivering to maildirs

Autor: Tim Jackson
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] exim/spamassassin not delivering to maildirs
On Sat, 5 Nov 2005 20:07:39 -0800 (PST)
Sean O'Brien <seannyob@???> wrote:

> Exim4 on debian stable seems not to be delivering mail
> to my Maildirs all of a sudden

[...]
> 2005-11-05 22:53:52 1EYbbJ-0005M6-4M SA: Action: SA
> didn't successfully run against message, accepting

Right, first up the above log line suggests that your SpamAssassin setup
isn't right somehow. You might want to run "spamc" separately (as the
user that Exim runs as) to see what's going on. Anyway, the message was
accepted, so that shouldn't on its own be stopping the messages being
delivered.

What you didn't then show is the log line showing the message either
being delivered, or placed on the queue. Have a look in your queue
(exim -bp, or use eximon) and see if the message is there. If it is,
check your logs to find out what Exim said when it tried to deliver the
message. Exim is pretty verbose when telling you about delivery
problems. If the message isn't there, it looks like it was delivered:
again, check the logs ("exigrep 1EYbbJ-0005M6-4M /path/to/mainlog") to
find out what happenened to it.

> I'm very frustrated with this server. I have had
> unreliable mail service on it no mater what MTA I've
> gone with; qmail never worked and sendmail randomly
> stopped working just like exim4 just has. I changed
> nothing but it is no longer delivering mail.

If you have had "random" problems with lots of software, it's worth
checking your RAM (use memtest86) and other hardware as appropriate
(e.g. use smartmontools to read SMART data from compatible disks). Most
software, especially stable, well-tested software like Exim doesn't just
"stop working" for no reason. That's where good logging (and Exim has
lots of it even by default) helps to track down what it is that's wrong.

Tim