Re: [exim] routing non-local users to another server

Autor: Geraint Edwards
A: James Davis
CC: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] routing non-local users to another server
James Davis <jamesd@???> said
        (on Wed, Nov 02, 2005 at 11:18:58AM +0000):

> exim is serving users in the virtual domain foo.com but if it finds an
> address within foo.com which hasn't been setup locally (yet), it
> forwards it onto the old server.
> [...]
> deliver_to_qmail:
>         driver = manualroute
>         transport = remote_smtp
>         route_list = * mailserver.foo.com
>         no_more

> which places this directly after the local users router.

So far so good.

> However when I
> try a test SMTP session for a user not setup in the foo.com virtual
> domain I get the following error.
>
> 550 unknown user

This looks to me like it is being rejected in the ACL - at SMTP
time - before the router gets to deal with the address.

You probably need to accept *non-users* for this domain - in the
section beginning "acl_check_rcpt:".

This may be the problem area (from the default config, but you're
using linux, so goodness knows what the linux default is ;-):

  accept  domains       = +local_domains
          endpass
          verify        = recipient

The simple solution being to comment out the last two lines
(caveat: you will accept mail for non-users in that domain, even
those not on the old server). Alternatively, use callouts (where
exim asks the old mail server if the user is ok).

--
Geraint A. Edwards (aka "Gedge")
gedge@???