[exim] Stripping mail to plain text for mailing lists

Autor: Kevin Colagio
A: exim-users
Assumpte: [exim] Stripping mail to plain text for mailing lists

'Morning!

We have a few mailing lists that have requested to receive mail that is
plain text only, stripping out all attachments, "fancy stuff" (bullets,
etc..), and making mail what (us old-timers ;) ) think e-mail should be.

I haven't found anything in Exim to do this, but I've come up with some
ideas and I need a knowledgeable body to bounce them to...so here goes...

1) Setup a lookup file that has a list of "plain text only" requesters.
2) Setup a router that checks the incoming mail against that list
2a) If they are on the list, send the message to a transport that will
de-mime it.
2b) If they are not on the list, continue to next router.
3) Deliver the message to the mailing list as normal, demimed if they
were on the list.

Now, a few options that fall out of this...
1) If the mail goes to recipient-mime, it goes through without being
demimed.
2) recipient-demime (regardless of being on the list) are always demimed.

So if this theory is right....? ...then what I could use is help
setting it up. I do plan on using demime (
http://scifi.squawk.com/demime.html ) to do the processing.

<puts on his dunce cap>
My big "I'm not sure how it works..." is this: What's the flow of a
message through the routers to the transport and back to the routers?
Does it start at the top again or continue where it "broke out"? If it
varies, a breakdown of when/where it changes would help a lot. The
other thing I'm not sure of is if I send something to a pipe, how does
it get back into the mailing system after modification?
</removes dunce cap>

Thanks in advance. Summarization will be provided if needed so others
understand as well.

--
    Kevin Colagio: Systems Analyst, Reef Geek, and Perpetual Student
    Computing and Information Technology, SUNY at Geneseo, South 124