[exim] Default recipient mail refused after update to Exim 4…

Author: Ephraim Vishniac
To: exim-users
Subject: [exim] Default recipient mail refused after update to Exim 4.50

Under Exim 3.35, I was the default recipient for all mail to my domain
due to this line at the end of /etc/aliases:

   *:    ephraim

This isn't working for me since I installed Exim 4.50. What I've done
so far:

Reading archived mail about "default recipient" led to a note about
debugging by running "/usr/sbin/exim4 -d -bt <the address>". This
tipped me off that I was editing the wrong configuration files (the
flock of small ones instead of the monolithic one).

Searching the FAQ led to question 0418 about handling unknown local
parts. Implementing the answer given there (add a driver redirecting
leftovers to a particular user) fixed the problem for locally
originated mail only. Mail from other domains still fails even though
testing with "exim4 -d -f <remoteaddress> -bt <localaddress>"
succeeds. The bounce message says "unknown user" and the exim4 log
says "unrouteable address".

Guessing that "unrouteable address" came from the configuration, I
experimentally removed every rule that mentions "unrouteable". This
had no visible effect at all.

What else do I need to do?