Re: [exim] Mail Queue

Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: Geraint Edwards
To: Paulo Andre
CC: exim
Betreff: Re: [exim] Mail Queue
Paulo Andre <pandre@???> said
        (on Wed, Oct 19, 2005 at 11:10:16AM +0200):

> When the destination server is down the email sits on the queue, but
> when the destination server is back up the email does not get sent,

If a server is down, then the retry algorithm applies, and the
time between retries increases the longer it is down. It can
get quite long.

What you're seeing is probably not that mail "does not get sent",
but instead that it "does not get retried soon enough".

When a retry succeeds (e.g. your forced retry), the retry
time/gap for that host is reset (i.e. the algorithm starts
again), so things get delivered in a more timely fashion.

> Is there a way that I can get the emails for that domain to get sent
> automatically.

You can force that domain to have a better retry algorithm. Or
you can setup the intermittent host to request a retry from the
relaying server - using the "ETRN" mechanism - both servers need
to be configured for this to work.

These two solutions are well documented.

--
Geraint A. Edwards (aka "Gedge")
gedge@???