Re: [exim] lmtp delivery to cyrus store over unix socket req…

Author: OpenMacNews
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] lmtp delivery to cyrus store over unix socket requires /etc/hosts.allow entry. why?
hi tony,

thx 4 the reply =)

>> QUESTION: why is a hosts.allow entry required in the 1st place for
>> lmtpunix transport over a UNIXsocket?
>>
>> and, why "0.0.0.0"?
>
> This looks like a Cyrus problem or a Mac OS X problem to me.

fair nuf. i'll take this to the 'right list'.

> The version of Cyrus I have here (heavily hacked 2.1.16)

fyi, mine's a patched cvs-head ('2.2.12-dev' ?)

> looks like it won't call
> tcpwrappers for Unix domain sockets. If the kernel lies to it and returns
> the wrong kind of socket address from getpeername() then Cyrus will do the
> wrong thing. I haven't tested Mac OS X to find out if this is the problem.

looking up getpeername() here in a sec ...

if there's a check you can suggest i can run to help clarify, happy to do so ...

> 0.0.0.0 is a synonym for localhost.

clear. just odd to me that they'd use 0.0.0.0, and that the "ususal" 127.0.0.1 or 'localhost'
entries in hosts.allow are simply infeffectual/ignored.

cheers,

richard

- --

/"\
\ / ASCII Ribbon Campaign
X against HTML email, vCards
/ \ & micro$oft attachments

[GPG] OpenMacNews at gmail dot com
fingerprint: 780A 5C81 D446 C616 B113 AA3A 9BF4 3736 88A5 678E