Re: [exim] Moving the Mail spool

Autor: Geraint Edwards
A: Terry
CC: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] Moving the Mail spool
Terry <terry@???> said
        (on Mon, Oct 17, 2005 at 05:12:18PM +0100):

> Whats the best way as i am getting low on space to move the spool directory.
> Should i just move it then use a symlink or is it best to add the
> spool_directory setting ?

There is no best way, it's a local policy decision, I would say
(I can't imagine the extra indirection a symlink adds will add
a significant performance hit).

I would probably use a symlink, and switch like this:
    cd /var/spool
    #    kill off exim's daemon here
    mv exim exim.old && ln -s /new/spool/for/exim exim
    mv -i exim.old/* exim/.
    #    restart exim
    rmdir exim.old

This allows a minimal switchover period (for local mail
submission even though the server is down).

--
Geraint A. Edwards (aka "Gedge")
gedge@???