Re: [exim] verify = reverse_host_lookup - variation?

Author: Fred Viles
To: exim-users
New-Topics: [exim] Fred's Corner
Subject: Re: [exim] verify = reverse_host_lookup - variation?
On 13 Oct 2005 at 9:40, Marc Perkel wrote about
    "Re: [exim] verify = reverse_host_lo":

| Fred Viles wrote:
|
| >On 13 Oct 2005 at 8:07, Marc Perkel wrote about
| >    "[exim] verify = reverse_host_lookup":
| >
| >| I'd like to do this verification:
| >|
| >| verify = reverse_host_lookup
| >|
| >| except I want it to fail only if the lookup returns no host but pass if
| >| it is just misconfigured. Is there a way to do that?
| >
| >Misconfigured how?  You want to know if there's no PTR record, but
| >not if the PTR record doesn't own a matching A record?
| >
| >RTFM dnsdb.

| Misconfigured in that there is a reverse dns lookup - but it's wrong.

Again, what do you mean by "wrong"? AFAIK, my guess is the only
useful definition - was it right, or not? If not, what exactly are
you talking about?

| believe it or noe - etrade.com is misconfigured this way.

That statement makes no sense. etrade.com is a domain name, not an
IP address, so you wouldn't expect it to own a PTR record at all.

etrade.com does own an A record with IP address 12.153.224.22, but
that IP address has valid rDNS. So no, I don't believe what you said
(as opposed to what you *meant*, which I don't know).

- Fred