Re: [exim] connection lost while reading message data (heade…

Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: Dean Brooks
To: exim-users
Betreff: Re: [exim] connection lost while reading message data (header)
On Wed, Oct 12, 2005 at 10:04:27AM -0700, Marc Perkel wrote:

> >Because the sender is dropping the connection partway through.
> >Try asking the sender why that might be.
>
> The problem seems to be on my end. It's as if I'm starting something
> that is getting stuck and that the other end eventually times out after
> a long delay. I'm just trying to figure out what I'm doing that could
> cause a hang. Could it be ClamAV related?

We receive *thousands* of these dropped connections per day. Who knows
why, and who cares, unless it is interfering with legitimate mail that
someone is complaining about. If that happens, we simply call the
remote site and ask them to check their logs and to investigate why
*their* mail server is dropping the connection.

Could you be specific in why you think its on your end? I can't think
of many scenarios that would cause this unless you have unreliable
connectivity to the outside world or are having networking problems
of some sort on your system.

We do occasionally see this occuring when people using DSL lines to
run a mail server have incorrectly set their MTU values, which can
cause all sorts of dropped connections when sending data streams.
Again, that is a remote issue and not related to the mail server itself.

That is, unless you are running your mail server on a DSL line and
are having MTU problems.

--
Dean Brooks
dean@???