Re: [exim] Adding missing Message-Id header for Outlook 2003…

Autor: Dean Brooks
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] Adding missing Message-Id header for Outlook 2003(AUTHENTICATED) users
On Mon, Oct 10, 2005 at 04:36:17PM +0100, David Woodhouse wrote:

> On Mon, 2005-10-10 at 10:03 -0500, Matt Sealey wrote:
> > Just so you know, I am doing this all for you (your email server
> > rejects all my replies, that's why I never get to answer anything :)
>
> Exim _used_ to automatically add a Message-Id to each mail which lacked
> one, as RFC2822 implies it SHOULD. But it was changed quite recently to
> do so only if you explicitly ask it to -- I think that was a retrograde step.

The RFC states it should indeed have a Message-Id header, but it is
generally accepted that this is to be enforced by the mail server
receiving the message directly from the MUA.

Because Exim is inherently a general MTA->MTA delivery engine and cannot
accurately on its own determine when it is receiving a message from
a MUA or another MTA, it was left to the end-user to configure the
system to explicitly enable submission mode when an MUA was identified
as submitting the message (i.e. SMTP AUTH, local IP space, MSA interface, etc.)

In general, it is a bad idea (although I don't believe against spec)
to add a missing message-id for messages originating from a foreign source.

--
Dean Brooks
dean@???