Re: [exim] (no subject)

Autor: Ian Eiloart
A: exim-users, Jakob Hirsch
CC:
Assumpte: Re: [exim] (no subject)

--On 7 October 2005 11:45:39 +0100 Tony Finch <dot@???> wrote:

> On Fri, 7 Oct 2005, Jakob Hirsch wrote:
>>
>> So if I'd send a message to ymmv.de@??? it would be rejected?
>
> Yes, because that's an invalid recipient.
>
>> As you said, that's a little agressive.
>
> No, it is a very reliable check.

It will be perfect as long as you don't allow your local parts to match
FQDNs. If they don't have dots in, you should be fine. Even if you do allow
them to match, the false positives will be low as long as nobody on your
system uses Jacob's technique of deliberately using foreign domain names as
local parts.

I used to use a similar system - using ian-example.com@... when registering
for a service at example.com. I've given up doing that now, because I keep
forgetting what name I've registered with, and because the amount of spam I
get to such addresses is vanishingly small (except for ian-php@... which is
still out there unmasked on some ancient mirrors of the php documentation
site).

--
Ian Eiloart
Servers Team