Re: [exim] 554 response showing up as a broken pipe

Autor: Michael Sprague
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] 554 response showing up as a broken pipe
Tony Finch wrote:
> On Thu, 6 Oct 2005, Michael Sprague wrote:
>
>>My main question is why didn't exim see the 554 response and deal with it
>>appropriately? Secondary question is what does the above error really mean?
>

> "Broken pipe" means that Exim tried to write to a socket after the peer
> had gone away. I guess the mail server mail.ansoniacb.com is dropping the
> coonection before Exim has completed sending the message data, so Exim
> gets an error when attempting to write the data and gives up before
> reading any remaining responses, because the connection has gone away
> unexpectedly which indicates some kind of problem. The mail server itself
> is very crappy, so this kind of misbehaviour is to be expected.
>
> Trying 69.182.77.210...
> Connected to mail.ansoniacb.com.
> Escape character is '^]'.
> 220 [NO UCE] (No Unsolicited Commercial E-mail)
> ehlo cyan.csi.cam.ac.uk
> 502 ehlo is unimplemented
> helo cyan.csi.cam.ac.uk
> 250 fwcg-acb-ans-01 Hello 131.111.10.17 [131.111.10.17], pleased to meet you
> quit
> 221 fwcg-acb-ans-01 closing connection

Thanks for explaining what 'broken pipe' means. Now I know!!

Does anyone have any idea what the 554 means, though?

554 Too many header lines without null line separator for message body

Could it mean there is no blank link between the headers and the body?

thanks,
mikeS

--
Michael F. Sprague     | mfs@???