[exim] Re: [exim-dev] Exim-4.12 | Installation

Autor: Peter Bowyer
A: exim users
Assumpte: [exim] Re: [exim-dev] Exim-4.12 | Installation
On 06/10/05, Anand Ulaganathan <aulaganathan@???> wrote:
> Hi,
>

> I have installed exim-4.12 on my Solaris system. The installation
> created a file by name /usr/local/bin/exim-4.12-1 which I understand as
> a service pack 1. I intend to configure close to a system in a different
> environment where I see /usr/local/bin/exim-4.12-3. Does this mean I am
> 2 service pack behind and if so where can I find the installable to get
> to exim-4.12-3. Any help soon is highly appreciated.

You're misinformed. The suffix -1 or -3 you're seeing is incremented
each time an Exim build of that version is performed on that machine.
The 'make install' process makes this happen, and installs a symlink
so that you can access the most recently built binary as 'exim', and
preserves the older binary(ies) in case you need to revert.

So you can probably ignore the fact that one server has -3 and the other -1.

But I wonder why you're installing an old version - 4.12 is pretty
ancient by most measures. The latest and greatest is 4.53, and should
build ok on your platform.

Peter