RE: [exim] Re: piping data to ${run

Autor: Herb Martin
A: exim-users
Assumpte: RE: [exim] Re: piping data to ${run
Joerg Sommer
> > On my Exim I am running CRM114 to do advanced
> > Bayesian/Markov/Hyperspace filtering in addition to SpamAssassin
> > (actually I have a CRM114 plug in but I am still calling
> CRM114 from
> > Exim too.)
>
> I don't want to use SpamAssassin, but I read found in the
> Debian package a file EDITME.exim4-light.gz that contains a flag
>
> #-------------------------------------------------------------
> -----------------
> # On systems which support dynamic loading of shared
> libraries, Exim can # load a local_scan function specified in
> its config file instead of having # to be recompiled with the
> desired local_scan function. For a full # description of the
> API to this function, see the Exim specification.
>
> DLOPEN_LOCAL_SCAN=yes

I don't use the local scan function as it comes
too late in the sequence for my preference.

My checks are all performed in the ACL sections.

While SpamAssassin has it's own special support
in recent versions of Exim, this has nothing
directly to do with ${run} nor with my example
which I offered you.

I mentioned peripherally that I had recently
moved my CRM114 check into SA as a plugin,
but CRM114 is STILL running directly as using
the ${run} command until I finish some features
for that plugin.

The point is, you can run most anything this
way from the ACL (and perhaps other) sections.

Running from the ACL that checks data is
particularly useful for things like CRM114
and Bogofilter.

You might even wish (perhaps with some
additional checks) to just REJECT the email
at that time.

While we don't reject all SA-marked-as-Spam
email, we do reject some of it if it hits
additional checks (like certain subject
phrases, high spam score, certain charset
encodings.)

Notice we never reject on a SINGLE subjective
criteria -- except the most obvious things
(which are very objective) such as HELO with
our own IP address or DNS name.

Currently, we are receiving less than 1-spam
a day (down from 1200 or so a few months ago.)

This includes IN THE SPAM CATCH accounts, as
we get pratically nothing to users client
machines and SpamBayes catches the one a week
or so that gets that far.

There is nothing* getting through and we have
no identifiable false positives.

Even among those very few that get past the
server, they are mostly from "Spam discussion
lists" which must bypass the spam checks
since they frequently contain "sample spam".

Oh, and we did get one spam last week which
got past SA because it was 280k -- large
messages are very inefficient for spammers
to send, and generally such things are not
sent through SA or CRM114, although I am
re-considering that and may use an "extract"
to check them.

My plan is to also add DSpam to the checks,
and we may have to start letting ALL of the
spam back in (but capturing it to collection
accounts) so that we can continue training
the Bayes and other Statistical (CRM114 &
DSpam have others) filters.

I haven't been able to get a clean build
for Bogofilter under CygWin however.

--
Herb Martin, MCT, MCSD, MCSE, MVP
HerbM@??? http://LearnQuick.Com