Re: [exim] Strange error from ClamAV

Author: Ian Eiloart
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Strange error from ClamAV

--On 4 October 2005 11:41:35 +0100 "Stanier, Alan M" <alan@???>
wrote:

> We run identical installations of exim 4.53 on three SMTP servers.
> Recently, one has started rejecting all email, with the log showing
> messages like
>

> malware acl condition: clamd: ClamAV returned
> /var/spool/exim_incoming/scan/1EMk73-0001ij-Ac: Access denied. ERROR
>

> This looked like a permissions problem, but the protections on the
> /var/spool hierarchy are identical on the failing machine and the two
> working ones. As a test, I chmod'ed 777 all the way up the hierarchy,
> but the problem persisted.
>

> I am baffled ... can anyone suggest what might be wrong?

Ooh, I've had this problem too, on an XServe. I don't recall exactly how I
fixed it, but it may be to do with clamav starting before the user id was
properly known. If you're getting your user information from a remote (eg,
ldap) server, then it may be wise to actually define the clamav user
locally instead.

--
Ian Eiloart
Servers Team