Re: [exim] Reducing Spam Assassin Load

Author: Marc Perkel
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Reducing Spam Assassin Load

Leonardo Boselli wrote:

>I do not thing thet whitelisting is good, there are a lot of viruses that
>come that way. blacklisting is more effective, and han no false positive.
>even spamassassin has a whitelisting capability, and i use here.
>however the filter must be used by every single user, since there are
>many occasions where a source is considered spam by all but a few
>users.

The point of all this is to avoid using Spam Assassin on known ham
because running through SA ads 100x load to the system for that message.
I'll call it "fast passing".

Actually heres what I need. Perhapes some sort of access to the hints
database to add my own cuscom hints?

If say 3 messages come in from a particulat user - or user/host
combination - and it's all ham then that person is automatically
whilelisted for a short time. The idea is that this data would expire.

What I'm thinking of is a system where the data is remembered for lets
say 30 minutes. messages coming in from joe@??? from the ham.com
server are all ham. So the system after so many good messages the system
would remember that person and bypass SA for a limited period of time.
The idea is not to permanantly white list them - but to make it so that
a significant percentage of their email passes unchecked through the
system to reduce SA load.

So - what I envision is that all data lives for 30 minutes or so. Say 3
ham messages gets you blessed and you stay blessed until the info
expires. Then a few more hams are checked and you are reblessed.

So what is blessed? It should be more than just the from address. It
should be perhaps a combination of the from address and the sending
host. And by from address I mean the From header - not just the email
address.

Like greylisting or my penalty box which cuts SA load processing spam -
the idea here is to cut SA load processing ham. So that's the topic of
this thread. Any ideas?