Re: [exim] MIME question

Author: Tom Kistner
To: Michael Haardt
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] MIME question
Michael Haardt wrote:

> According to MIME, that's fine, but I am used to clients and scanners
> recursively descending into message/rfc822 parts and I failed to find
> anything describing that.
>
> Changing the second Content-Type to message/rfc822 should generate an
> error, because the "body" should be yet another header and a following
> body. Right? Should I expect software to detect that error?

No, because the content-type is a "hint" at best, it does not dictate
the exact format of the contained data. Enforcing your expectations of
"well-formed" MIME parts will get you lots of false positives :)

> I see the potential for an attacker to use 50 headers and a 100 kB body,
> thus generating 50 message files, each a little over 100 kB, and 5 MB
> in total to scan.

DoS attacks against inline scanners are always easy. You can get the
same effect with the infamous 42.zip file. :)

> Does anybody know how other software works? To parse everything in a
> linear fashion, you had to keep a stack of active boundaries. If any
> boundary but the top matches, the MIME elements above are truncated.
> Is that correct?

Yes. The current Exim implementation(s) are lazy in that respect and do
not carry a stack of boundaries, they only check for the last one (so
they expect well-formed messages). I want to improve on that in the near
future (there's another bug with B64 decoding that needs to be fixed).

/tom