Re: [exim-dev] Preliminary testing of a new Exim test suite

Author: Daniel Tiefnig
To: exim-dev
Subject: Re: [exim-dev] Preliminary testing of a new Exim test suite
Philip Hazel wrote:
> On Thu, 29 Sep 2005, Daniel Tiefnig wrote:
>> Note: Lowest numbered MX record doesn't point to local host here,
>> it seems. :o)
>
> Which release of Exim? If not 4.53, that would explain that.

It is 4.53-RC2... I'll retry with the release version.

> My guess here is that your host does not have a reverse registration
> in the DNS.

Actually, it doesn't have an A record either. The hostname maps to
127.0.0.1 via /etc/hosts, though. It's a workstation in a dynamic
environment. (192.168.x)

> That would certainly explain this output. I'm not quite sure how to
> deal with that. One possibility is to make it a requirement for
> running the test suite.

That doesn't sound good to me, but YMMV.

> Hmm. The test suite makes use of the 10.0.0.0 network for DNS tests,
> and I suppose it implicitly assumes that the host is *not* in that
> network. *Is* your host in the 10.0.0.0 network?

No, it isn't.

> Oh gosh, if I have to cope with that case there are going to be a
> *lot* of changes needed. Maybe I should use an "impossible" network
> such as 255.0.0.0 for the DNS tests.

That would be better, yes. E.g. with nodes behind a NAT device you may
have 10.x addresses bound on mailservers. Same for mailservers with
additional internal interfaces, of course, so this doesn't sound too
unusual. Or does this only concern the "primary" interface?

Besides, the test suite will be used on development boxes mostly,
wouldn't it? So one should maybe try to cope with "all" possible network
setups anyway. (Maybe even no network at all, at least for test that
doesn't test network functionalities...?)

> I think most of your other mismatches are all caused by the same
> thing.

It looks like that, yes.

> Try running with -d to get debug output in test-stderr and
> test-stderr-server.

Hmm, not really. But in test-stderr-server i get:
exim: incompatible command-line options or arguments

I modified runtest to print out the exim command it is executing, and
got the following:
/home/tiefnig/exim/exim-testsuite-0.00/eximdir/exim -t
-DEXIM_PATH=/home/tiefnig/exim/exim-testsuite-0.00/eximdir/exim -C
/home/tiefnig/exim/exim-testsuite-0.00/test-config -DSERVER=server -bd
-oX 1225 >>test-stdout 2>>test-stderr

"-t" doen't like "-bd" and vice versa.

lg,
daniel