Re: [exim] long delays sending (not ident related) (mypost: …

Author: rich lott
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] long delays sending (not ident related) (mypost: rl3sept27)
Fred, very much appreciate your time, thanks.

On Wednesday 28 September 2005 20:43, Fred Viles wrote:
No, it turns off ident lookups. Actually, since your problem is in
*sending* mail, this can't help. There is the possibility that the
remote site is doing an ident call to your server, and you have a
firewall dropping the packet (instead of rejecting it).

Or there may be lots of other reasons why the remote is delaying the
transaction. Some admins introduce delays intentionally to cause
poorly written ratware to cause a protocol violation when it doesn't
wait for the response.

Are you seeing the same 30s delay with delivery to lots of different
hosts, or just this one?

Ah, thnks. penny might be dropping. shinyblue.net is hosted elsewhere, and so
maybe because I've set my exim up to report it's from shinyblue.net, I think
the shinyblue.net server may be getting a time out because it it trying to
look up itself? Could that be it?

There's another strangeness too in that it seems to be sending my localhost
name as a fqd which it obviously isn't. This causes rejection by some
servers, which may be part of the delay. Why is my local hostname sent? Where
does exim get the value to send in HELOs? (see log snippet)

005-09-29 08:20:14 1EKsi9-00041V-LQ ** xxxxxxxxx@???
F=<root@???>P=<root@???> R=dnslookup T=remote_smtp: SMTP
error from remote mail server after HELO reech: host a.mx.peopleandplanet.org
[217.204.203.154]: 504 <reech>: Helo command rejected: need fully-qualified
hostname
2005-09-29 08:20:14 1EKsiE-00041Z-7J <= <> R=1EKsi9-00041V-LQ U=Debian-exim
P=local S=1248 from <> for root@???