Re: [exim] Exim rejects: syntactically invalid argument

Author: Marc Sherman
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Exim rejects: syntactically invalid argument
Alan J. Flavell wrote:

> That's mighty curious. We support several email domains on the same
> server, but the number of HELOs which present one of our own domains
> is very different for the different domains, as it turns out. So far
> this week: 35 for one, 573 for another, and 3 for a third.

That's bizarre. I see similar (lack of) patterns. I checked the other
3 domains I host; one has 0 hits at all, another has only 4 hits, all of
them rejected by clamav, and the last one has 11 hits, all of them
rejected by spamassassin. Still none of the messages got delivered, though.

That final domain makes me think I might get around to this some day
after all -- anything I can do to reduce spamassassin load is a good thing.

> We see lots which HELO with our dotted IP address (629 so far this
> week).

That's an investigation for another day... :)

> In your case, maybe. I'm sure we'll keep ours, though - it's a
> sure-fire test of bogosity, and cheap to test.

Sure, I didn't mean to say that it would be worth removing if I already
had it -- it just didn't seem to be worth investing a configure/test
cycle into implementing it yet.

- Marc