Re: [exim-dev] Preliminary testing of a new Exim test suite

Author: John W. Baxter
To: John Jetmore, exim-dev
CC:
Subject: Re: [exim-dev] Preliminary testing of a new Exim test suite
On 9/28/05 12:01 PM, "John Jetmore" <jetmore@???> wrote:

> On Wed, 28 Sep 2005, John W. Baxter wrote:
>
>> Hmmm...with Darwin as used by Apple for "Tiger" (10.4.2), and as the error
>> is massaged by the Python socket library (where the Pythonistas hid the
>> gethostbyaddr call), I get
>>
>> $cat t1.py
>> #!/usr/bin/python
>>
>> import socket
>> print socket.gethostbyaddr('10.11.12.13')
>>
>> $./t1.py
>> Traceback (most recent call last):
>>   File "./t1.py", line 4, in ?
>>     print socket.gethostbyaddr('10.11.12.13')
>> socket.herror: (1, 'Unknown host')

> hrm. I just sent some test snippets to exim-users asking people to run
> them. Either my machine is broken or 10.3.* is broken:
>
> 0:test-env> cat test-host.py
> #!/usr/bin/python
>
> import socket
> print socket.gethostbyaddr('10.11.12.13')
> 0:test-env> ./test-host.py
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "./test-host.py", line 4, in ?
>     print socket.gethostbyaddr('10.11.12.13')
> socket.herror: (3, 'Unknown server error')

> The only Tiger machines I have are laptops at home, I'll test tonight.

I am running Tiger with a DSL connection. I have DNS servers--two of
ours,running BIND 9.??--set up in the Network preferences, rather than
receiving them from the DHCP server in the DSL modem (which seems to set
itself up as a problematic caching server, and offer that).

So I'm seeing, I think, the (error) result from BIND on our servers. That
could be the source of the differences in what you and I see. (The other
machine on my vast network, also running Tiger (10.4.2) is set up the same
way, so I doubt I would see anything different there).

--John