RE: [exim] long delays on debian testing (mypost: rl3sept27)

Author: Ian Eiloart
To: exim-users
Subject: RE: [exim] long delays on debian testing (mypost: rl3sept27)
--On 28 September 2005 14:22:24 +0100 Philip Hazel <ph10@???>
wrote:

> On Wed, 28 Sep 2005, Ian Eiloart wrote:
>
>> We do log ident, with a 3 second timeout, but actually don't get a lot of
>> useful information from it.
>
> As I keep saying whenever this thread reincarnates: the ident
> information is not meant to be useful to you. It is meant to be useful
> to the sysadmins of the host that sent it when you pass it back to them
> in the event of a problem or query.

Ah, but you're forgetting the case where the sysadmin of the server is the
sysadmin of the clients, too. In this case IDENT can be useful to me.

I should have been more explicit. Our servers handle tens of thousands of
emails. Only a handful have yielded ANY ident data at all. Only one of
those was from an external source, and it didn't identify a user. So, my
experience is that when ident data is returned, I *can* make use of it
without referring to anyone else.

>> Of 10 hits yesterday, 8 were encrypted
>
> So that you *can't* make any use of it.

Except I can, because I administer the clients. At least, that's the
theory. I'm not sure how I'd go about it.

--
Ian Eiloart
Servers Team