[exim] rerouting emails with an unqualified local part

Author: Christopher L. Everett
To: exim-users
Subject: [exim] rerouting emails with an unqualified local part
Hello,

I have a script that sends email notifications to users, and I do
bounce processing on the returns.

Each email I send has a unique local part in the Sender, along the
line of "bounce-id-12345-p".

I used to handle the bounces as they came in directly on the server,
but now I have to move the bounce handling to another box.

I'm trying to have the bounces end up in a mail box, but I can't
figure out what the heck I'm doing. I've tried address rewriting:

bounce\-id\-*\-p@??? bounces@??? hq

which doesn't work.

I've tried a a custom director:

bounce_director:
condition = ${if match{$local_part}{bounce\-id\-.*}{1}{0}}
driver = smartuser
new_address = bounces@???

which the test mode seems to indicate is OK:

cobalt:/etc/exim# exim -d2 -bt bounce-id-12345-p@???
Exim version 3.36 debug level 2 uid=0 gid=0
Berkeley DB: Sleepycat Software: Berkeley DB 3.2.9: (May 26, 2004)
Caller is an admin user
Caller is a trusted user
bounce_director director called for bounce-id-12345-p@???
bounce_director director generated bounces@???
  errors_to=NULL transport=NULL
  uid=unset gid=unset home=NULL
bounce_director director succeeded for bounce-id-12345-p
spamcheck_director director called for bounces@???
queued for spamcheck transport: local_part=bounces domain=physemp.com
  errors_to=NULL
  domain_data=NULL local_part_data=NULL
spamcheck_director director succeeded for bounces
bounces@???
    <-- bounce-id-12345-p@???
  deliver to bounces in domain physemp.com
  director = spamcheck_director, transport = spamcheck

but doesn't seem to work in the real world:

cobalt:/etc/exim# telnet localhost 25
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 cobalt.physemp.com ESMTP Exim 3.36 #1 Tue, 27 Sep 2005 04:10:51 -0500
mail from: ceverett@???
250 <ceverett@???> is syntactically correct
rcpt to: bounce-id-12345-p@???
550 Unknown local part bounce-id-12345-p in <bounce-id-12345@???>

This is an absurdly simple thing to be banging my head into the wall
for six hours on ... help!

--
Christopher L. Everett

Chief Technology Officer                               www.medbanner.com