Re: [exim] Open Relay questions/problems

Author: Jakob Hirsch
To: robert
CC: Exim, Users
Subject: Re: [exim] Open Relay questions/problems
Robert Cates wrote:

> as some call them). Suddenly I was receiving alot of mail (spam), but I
> believe only a very few actually got relayed,

The error message from yahoo clearly indicated that some were relayed. As
I wrote before, look into your logs where the spam came from. It's hard to
help you without this information.

> and some of you believe(d) I configured an open relay.

Which is not the case. The acl_smtp_auth controls if somebody can use the
AUTH command, not the authentication itself. Remove it, it's futile in the
way you use it (most people also don't need it). The same is true for your
acl_smtp_starttls, btw.

> 1) directly after reconfiguring I ran at least 3 different tests from 2

From what I can see, you are not an open relay.

> 2) instead of using: 'hostlist auth_relay_hosts = * ' , should I list
> all of the major ISPs with dial-up that my customers do/might use, and

No. What should be the purpose of doing so? It's totally useless and
unrelated to your issue.

> 3) how can stop even getting all/most of the spam to my server?

Without further information (especially from your log files) nobody here
can tell you.

> 4) how can I remove the messages backed up in the queue from
> undeliverable mail?

remove it from your queue directory or (better) use some combination of
"exim -Mrm" with exipick or ...

> 6) what's the differnce between 'fixed_login:' and just 'login:' ?

The names of the authenticators are arbitrary, you can use any name you
like. The appear in the log and can be used in conditions, though the
latter is seldom used, I'd say.