Re: [exim] dbm vs net-iplsearch for mixed ip/range lists?

Author: OpenMacNews
To: Stephen Gran, Fred Viles
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] dbm vs net-iplsearch for mixed ip/range lists?
hi stephen/fred,

>> but, i've not (yet) found an example of dbm usage for mixed-type lists, as
>> above.
>
> As has already been noted, it's a single exact key match.

got it.

and, now, here's me, currently snuggled up with a freshly _printed_ spec and a
highlighter. us old folks are a little slow when reading online, and just like
the feel of paper ...

;-)

>> any example/reference would be appreciated ....
> Grab this script:
> http://www.megacity.org/software_downloads/cidrexpand
>
> and do a 2 pass run over your file - first convert it with the abve
> script and then build the db.
>
> HTH,

in does in principle. thx much for the script/example!

> Interesting, that would work. But I would think it would be typical
> for the resulting DB file to have at least two or three orders of
> magnitude more entries than the original CIDR file. Is a dbm or cdb
> search really so much faster that this would be a win?

from a performance perspective, i certainly agree that's a valid question.

what remains is the 'advantage' -- perceived or real is up for discussion -- of
having just one format of lists ...

from my _current_ perspective, with sub-100 entries in the list, it's probably
easier to stay with net-iplsearch.

_might_ be worth a benchmark comparison, tho ...

cheers,

richard