Re: [exim] dbm vs net-iplsearch for mixed ip/range lists?

Author: OpenMacNews
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] dbm vs net-iplsearch for mixed ip/range lists?
hi fred,

>| i suppose a two-pass lookup string approach, matching 1st for address, then
>| range, is doable,
>
> I don't think so. How would you convert the connecting IP address to
> a string that looks like a CIDR range with the correct number of
> masked bits?

well, now that you mention it, i happen to be struggling over that right now.
i'm finding myself considering writing an external C funtion ... and that is
quickly crossing in to the 'more trouble than its worth' categroty, especially
when net-iplsearch DOES work. :-/

>| bottom/line, is dbm lookup appropriate/efficient for such mixed lists?
>
> No. From spec.txt:
>
> * iplsearch: The given file is a text file containing keys and data. A key
> is ... (snip description)
>
>     Warning 1: Unlike most other single-key lookup types, a file of data for
>     iplsearch can not be turned into a DBM or cdb file, because those lookup
>     types support only literal keys.

grumble ... that's what i get for searching on NET-iplsearch. tho looking an
inch UP the page shouldn't have eluded me ...

anyway, thx.

now, one more question just for clarity ... here, "literal keys" DOES mean
exact matches, yes?

cheers,

richard