[exim] Re: which linux for exim

Autor: Andreas Metzler
A: exim-users
Assumpte: [exim] Re: which linux for exim
Marc Sherman <msherman@???> wrote:
[...]
> as a result, Debian will often ship as stable a relatively immature x.x0
> or x.x1 release. For example, the current Debian stable release
> contains exim 4.50. While many of the fixes from 4.51 were backported
> into Debian's 4.50 package before Debian went stable, it would probably
> have been better served to stick with 4.44, which had had 4 minor point
> releases to stabilize before the major new features of 4.50 were introduced.

Hello,
Afaict the only thing a x.y0 version number in exim signifies is "The
documentation is up to date." New features are introduced the whole
time. Check for example 4.43. 4.44 is not "4.40 with lots of
bugfixes".

4.44-->4.50 actually is not that big, the main new feature is
inclusion of exiscan, but exiscan has had loads of testing in
production use _before_ that.

My general gut feeling about exim releases for debian is:
* Most of the time you'd have liked to have the next release(TM). ;-)
* The really ugly newly introduced bugs are generally found quickly,
after up to a week on exim-users. So there is little danger of
shipping a really broken release if you take a little time.

                cu andreas
fuhggvat qbja gur juveyvat tha.
Neal Stephenson in "Snow Crash"