Re: [exim] Does EXIM need a new scripting language? - YES

Autor: Marc Perkel
A: exim-users
CC: Nigel Metheringham
Assumpte: Re: [exim] Does EXIM need a new scripting language? - YES

Philip Hazel wrote:

>On Tue, 20 Sep 2005, Nigel Metheringham wrote:
>

>>Its possible to make a very good case for replacing exim's string
>>expansion syntax with a full scripting language, however that will be a
>>really major break - I think it will also necessitate re-architecting
>>exim at the same time. So we're looking at exim 5 (or 6) level releases
>>for doing this. Even though it is an ideal time to release exim 5
>>(Debian did ship exim 4 in stable a few months back... :-) ), thats
>>going to take some considerable time.
>>

>And I am going to be retired by then.
>
>I am not against this idea, but I just don't see myself ever being
>involved in doing it.

Many years ago - late 1980s I developed a really simple syntax parser
that I saw written originally in Forth but ported it to pascal and wrote
several scripting languages in it. I think I could descrive the basics
of it here in really simple terms that could be implemented in any
language. It's dirt simple and it just works and could even in it's
crudest form be far more powerful that what Exim has now.

Let me see if I can write it up.

--
Marc Perkel - marc@???

Spam Filter: http://www.junkemailfilter.com