[exim] Exim, SpamAssasin and all in between?

Autor: Yves Goergen
A: Exim-users list
Assumpte: [exim] Exim, SpamAssasin and all in between?
Hi,

I'm now trying to get a spam filter into my Exim. I thought at
greylisting as I heard it would be very effective. And I thought it
should only be used for mails that SpamAssasin declares something like
"unsure". Other mails should be directly accepted or rejected. I use a
MySQL database for virtual domains, forwards and all that. It would be
cool if I could turn that scanning on and off for each mailbox/forward.
I have compiled Exim from source, not using any of the Debian packages
for these things. I guess my Debian package management is defective
since the sarge release anyway... (still using 3.0)

I'm still using Exim 4.3something but could upgrade to 4.5 (or whatever
is current right now) if required. I never used SpamAssasin or that
local scan thing nor do I really understand what it all does. I ran into
several descriptions and how-tos explaining what I can do to get it
working. But everyone tells something different and the manuals I have
found on the respective websites refer to quite old Exim versions. I
think I can remember Exim 4.5 to have an interesting improvement in this
but am not sure what it was.

So can someone of you please point me to kind of a documentation how it
definitely works with the latest release of all this? What's that about
with replacing local_scan.c or patching loadable modules into Exim? Do I
really need this? Will I have to install SpamAssasin with that daemon
thing? Would I be better off repairing my packager and get some ready
packages for all this? I won't need that ugly two-exim-daemons hack,
will I? (Ah yes, rejecting must be at incoming-SMTP-time, if at all!)
And is there a chance I can plug some virus scanner anywhere into it?
I'm thankful for any help with this as it all seems very complicated to
me and the Exim Wiki doesn't tell much about it.

--
Yves Goergen "LonelyPixel" <nospam.list@???>

Unclassified NewsBoard Forum --> newsboard.unclassified.de
Free (GPL), easy to use and install, secure, innovative! (PHP+MySQL)