Re: [exim] does "net-lsearch" support mask-ed IP ranges, or …

Autor: OpenMacNews
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] does "net-lsearch" support mask-ed IP ranges, or just indiv IPs?
hi again,

>| thx 4 the reply =)
>
> No problem, though I did miss the obvious...

hmm?

>|     ---    drop     hosts           = net-lsearch;/path/to/ipnets.blacklist
>|     +++    drop     hosts           = /path/to/ipnets.blacklist

> Well, yes. In your case, there was no need to do an explicit lookup
> at all. I was focusing on how the lookups work, and forgot to think
> about how host lists work in the first place. Good job.

aha. well, it looks like there are several options to consider ...

> Wish I could take credit, but no.

what?! your future as a politician is CLEARLY at risk ;-D

> I was just pointing you at the
> answer to your specific question (netNN-).

got it.

>| so what is, if any, the advantage of using "net-iplsearch;/blah" in this
>| action?
>
> Good question. It is restricted to IP addresses and nets, so it may
> be a little quicker since it doesn't have to consider hostname and
> wildcard syntax.

fair point.

> But I doubt that's very significant.

i'd guess that only on looooong lists ... but by 'then', i'd imagine i'd have
put pgsql in place, anyway ...

> I imagine [net-]iplsearch is mainly intended to be used in contexts other

than
> a hostlist option.

when i get this all figured out, i suppose should write my
'noob-from-scratch-in-detail' experiences up ...

as a general comment, i've found re: Exim, that to 'get it up' (smarta__es,
please use the other entrance!) is quite easy .... but to tune it properly,
requires a fair amount of diligence.

between the list, the docs & google, the info's all there ... just sometimes
ineffecient to find. actually, i'm considering feeding it all into
DevonThinkPro and indexing the whole durn kit-n-kaboodle ...

cheers,

richard