Re: [exim] control=submission changed in 4.52

Author: Brian Candler
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] control=submission changed in 4.52
On Wed, Sep 14, 2005 at 05:23:38PM +0100, Tony Finch wrote:
> > I was seeing some strange behaviour with 'control=submission' rewriting the
> > envelope sender of messages, and I was carefully reading and re-reading the
> > documentation... until I found that in NewStuff this had been intentionally
> > changed.
> >
> > I don't think I like the new behaviour, and I'd like it to be back how it
> > was before (or have an option to do this).
>
> You can probably achieve what you want by (1) saving $sender_address in a
> $acl_m* variable in an ACL before submission fix-ups occur; (2) use
> errors_to on your outgoing router or return_path on your outgoing
> transport to restore the sender address using $acl_m*.
>
> However it would probably be neater to add a /return_path_retain option to
> Exim. (I think it is better if the default behaviour of submission mode is
> similar to locally submitted messages.)

That would then be the analogue of "untrusted_set_sender", which makes sense
(I have this turned on for those CGIs which invoke exim directly to send
mail, rather than open an SMTP connection)

So we would end up with a set of features for local and smtp mail which are
the same, but with different names:

local mail                      smtp mail
untrusted_set_sender            control=submission/return_path_retain

control=suppress_local_fixups omit control=submission

local_sender_retain=true        control=submission/sender_retain
local_from_check=false

qualify_domain=xxx              control=submission/domain=xxx

Since we now have a non-SMTP ACL, maybe this can be regularised when Exim 5
comes along :-)

Regards,

Brian.