Re: [exim] abandoned message bodies

Autor: Matthew Byng-Maddick
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] abandoned message bodies
On Fri, Sep 16, 2005 at 09:18:37AM +0100, Philip Hazel wrote:
> On Thu, 15 Sep 2005, Matthew Byng-Maddick wrote:
>> Because of the way it works, and the kinds of checks that may happen, it is
>> good if in the data phase it can start feeding the message to exim sooner
>> rather than later, and if I recall correctly, abandoning the message body
>> before a final dot, by closing the writer will cause the message to be
>> abandoned by exim. I take it there are no plans to change this behaviour.
> It would be a serious violation of the RFC if this were changed, as long
> as "abandon" is taken to mean "does not carry on to normal delivery". I
> can imagine situations where the sysadmin wants to inspect such partial
> messages, to see why the heck so many of them are occurring.

Good - I was mainly concerned where pipes were concerned, and where the
transport is therefore reliable. This is exactly the behaviour I need,
because my proxy may need to tell its peer that it's rejecting the message,
and I don't want it to deliver the half-finished mail to the final
destination.

Cheers

MBM

--