Re: [exim-dev] Multiline macros or abstract objects?

Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: Philip Hazel
To: Michael Haardt
CC: exim-dev
Betreff: Re: [exim-dev] Multiline macros or abstract objects?
On Thu, 15 Sep 2005, Michael Haardt wrote:

> The specification may be the hardest point, but the actual code does
> not sound too bad. Make "driver = appendfile" the same as "extends
> appendfile", and the configuration stays compatible. Still Exim 4. :-)

It is still too big an item for me at this time. I am not an OO
programmer, for a start. However, the major point is this:

In no more than 4 years' time, I shall retire. Therefore, the main focus
of what I am currently doing is to get Exim to a point where other
people can take it over. The code is now in CVS and others are making
changes. The documentation is just about maintainable in AsciiDoc and
XML. At the moment, I am working on the test suite. This is proving just
as difficult as I thought it would be, and it will take a lot of time.

While doing this, I am keeping the code "ticking over" by fixing bugs
and adding small, straightforward patches. I do not want to embark on
any major extension projects at this time, particularly those that
change the "philosophy" in any way, implying a lot of documentation
changes. I don't have time even to *think* about such things, let alone
do them.

The same is true for PCRE.