Re: [exim] RFC

Author: Dennis Davis
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] RFC
On Wed, 14 Sep 2005, Nigel Metheringham wrote:

> From: Nigel Metheringham <nigel.metheringham@???>
> To: exim-users@???
> Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 16:02:54 +0100
> Subject: Re: [exim] RFC

> The answer to this is to use the standard MSA port (port 587) for
> MUA to MTA submission and to do something like this:-
>         rfc1413_hosts = *
>         rfc1413_query_timeout = ${if eq{$interface_port}{587}{0}{5}}

> which will give (an untested) 5 second timeout for folks
> connecting to ports other than 587 and no query for those on
> 587. You should also have the (standard) ACL conditions so 587
> *enforces* authentication (and probably TLS).

Nice idea, but this won't work. rfc1413_query_timeout isn't marked
as a variable that undergoes string expansion. So setting it
to anything other than an integer should give a failure. Would
having rfc1413_query_timeout undergo string expansion be a suitable
wishlist item?

You'd probably have to do this by suitable string expansion on
rfc1413_hosts, ie something like:

rfc1413_hosts = ${if eq{$interface_port}{587}{}{*}}

(not tested)

To my mind this isn't quite so clear; I'd prefer to see
rfc1413_query_timeout expanded.
--
Dennis Davis, BUCS, University of Bath, Bath, BA2 7AY, UK
D.H.Davis@???               Phone: +44 1225 386101