[exim] Re: query-style lookup for text files

Autor: Marc Haber
A: exim-users
Assumpte: [exim] Re: query-style lookup for text files
On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 14:14:54 +0100 (BST), Philip Hazel
<ph10@???> wrote:
>On Tue, 13 Sep 2005, Marc Haber wrote:
>> which will return (modulo bracketing and other syntax errors) the
>> second field of any line (the first line?) in /etc/exim4/passwd.client
>> for whose first field exists an A record pointing to the IP address of
>> the we are actually talking to.
>>
>> Is this already possible in exim?
>
>I don't think so, but it seems very special-purpose.

Does it? ISPs with smarthost _clusters_ are more the rule than the
exception nowadays, and smarthost are increasingly used these days
where port 25 blocking is becoming standard operational practice for
ISPs?

>However, note that you can now load functions of your own, so maybe
>that's a route for you. Take a look at the $dlfunc{ expansion item. This
>is currently documented only in doc/NewStuff.

Yuck! Do you really want Debian to use a non-standard dlopen function
in something as basic as SMTP authentication in our default install? I
suspect that this is going to cause much support effort on both sides
of the story.

Greetings
Marc