Re: [exim-dev] Re: [exim-cvs] cvs commit: exim/exim-doc/doc-…

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Tony Finch
CC: exim-dev
Subject: Re: [exim-dev] Re: [exim-cvs] cvs commit: exim/exim-doc/doc-txt ChangeLog NewStuff exim/exim-src/src acl.c globals.h smtp_in.c
On Mon, 12 Sep 2005, Tony Finch wrote:

> On Mon, 12 Sep 2005, Philip Hazel wrote:
> >
> > Well, yes, but you know what the command is, and why do you need to know
> > about the following space?
>
> The discussion started off with me wanting to experiment with being
> strict about syntax errors of the form MAIL FROM: <address>, which
> Sendmail X does by default so I thought it might be a useful ratware
> signature.

Interesting how one's perceptions change. My immediate reaction was
"but the command is 'MAIL', so you should have what you want already",
but when I went to doublecheck on the code that I wrote 10 years ago, I
see that I treat the whole of "MAIL FROM:" as the "command". The RFC
does seen to indicated that only one space is allowed between MAIL and
FROM:, fortunately.

Another thought occurs to me: your patch would also allow you to
distinguish between HELO and EHLO, so that's another benefit.