[exim-dev] Pipe transport run by user?

Autor: Bryan Henderson
A: exim-dev
Assumpte: [exim-dev] Pipe transport run by user?
Does Exim run the pipe transport only when running as a daemon, or
does it also run it when invoked by a user to send mail? I know
traditional Unix MTAs deliver mail locally without involving a daemon
at all, but does Exim?

The reason I care is that I'm working on a modification to the pipe
transport that causes the piped-to program to inherit environment
variables normally (today, it starts the environment fresh with a
dozen or so environment variables chosen by Exim and whatever you
specify in transport options in exim.conf). On my system, there are
many environment variables, which the Exim daemon inherits normally,
that the piped-to program needs.

But if the piped-to program runs with the benefit of Exim's setuid
privileges, this is not good. It makes sense only if the program is
invoked by the Exim daemon.

--
Bryan Henderson                                    Phone 408-621-2000
San Jose, California