Re: [exim] Hardware Sizing

Author: Michael F. Sprague
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Hardware Sizing
Marc Perkel wrote:

> Michael F. Sprague wrote:
>
>> Marc Perkel wrote:
>>
>>> If I were to build a system to process 150,000 messages an hour -
>>> using SpamAssassin - how much computing power would you throw at that?
>>>

>> Have you considered running SA on a separate server? That would
>> change the dynamics a bit. :)

> Actually - yes. But I'm trying to get an idea of total computing power
> I'm going to need for everything. Get some feedback from people running
> this kind of volume.

Understandable. :)

I'm not doing that much volume at the moment and the last time I was
running mail servers with that much traffic we were doing everything on
big Sun servers.

My only recommendation, and I'm sure you're aware of this, is that SA
needs a lot of horsepower in CPU, RAM and fast drives.

I'm curious if any of the 64bit hardware (and the appropriate OS) shows
any performance boost for apps like SA, clamd, etc. Hopefully someone
with experience in this area will post. :)

thanks,

Michael F. Sprague   |  mfs@???
Partner              |  System and Network Engineering (SaNE), Inc
use STD::disclaimer;